Technical Information (MGB 31)
LOWERING BLOCK KITS
Last Modified - 10/08/02
This new kit from British Automotive is designed to allow you to lower your MGB or MGA rear suspension ride height in increments of 1/2" for a total of 1.5". This is accomplished by using 1/2" stackable spacer blocks along with longer zinc plated 8" "U" bolts.
We have provided you with 3 different kits as follows:
PART # LOWR/KIT1 LIST PRICE $89.95
PART # LOWR/KIT2 LIST PRICE $106.95
PART# LOWR/KIT3 LIST PRICE $122.95
Using your MGB workshop manual as a guide, carry out the following:
- Jack up vehicle and support with jack stands placed under the rear axle tubing.
- Remove both road wheels.
- Disconnect both axle check straps and shock absorber links.
- Jack up vehicle again, this time support vehicle with jack stands placed forward of the road spring front mount support.
- Lower rear axle down until road springs are fully relaxed. Keep jack in position. (It may be necessary to remove rear section of the exhaust system to allow L/H road spring full relaxation).
- Remove "U" bolts, bump stop pedestal, lower shock absorber link plate, "U" bolt guide plates, and spring seating pads. (Recommend working on one side at a time).
- Coat the nylatron pads with the supplied lubricant. Install onto road spring. (Tap into position if necessary)
NOTE: Upper nylatron pad with Delrin "O" ring.
Lower nylatron pad without Delrin "O" ring.
- Place 1/2" spacer block on top of upper nylatron pad.
NOTE: When installing more than one 1/2" spacer block, simply place black Delrin "O" ring over the 1/2" spacer block center boss, followed by 1/2" spacer block.
- Install original upper "U" bolt guide plate, followed by "U" bolts with bump stop pedestal.
- Install original lower "U" bolt guide plate, followed by lower shock absorber link plate.
- Lubricate and fit "U" bolt 3/8" nyloc nuts. Tighten nuts.
NOTE: Overtightening 3/8" nyloc nuts will only lead to deformation of lower shock absorber link plates.
6. Reverse REMOVING instructions 1 through 5.